In the year 2006 the Municipal Council of Nuwara-Eliya has won the 1st place and received the Best Local Government Organization in Sri Lanka award in the competition held by the Local Government authority for the year 2004.
- The Council has won First place in Financial Reporting on the year 2006 awarded from the Asia Foundation, Sri Lanka.
- In the year 2005 the Municipal Council Library has won the 1st place and received the Best Library in the Central Province award in the competition held by the Local Government authority of Sri Lanka.
- 25 numbers of Lap Top Computers have been donated to the Council by the friendly city Uji, Japan in the year 2006 to form a free computer education center in the city.
- The Commissioner of Local Government have presented a certificate of that, Nuwara-Eliya city is the only one city which have used the Japan aid 100% in a proper manner for development activities of the city in the year 2005.
- The JBIC have agreed to present 300 million rupees aid to the Council for its future development activities
- His worshiped Mayor – Mr.Chandanalal Karunaratne have received the award of ‘Good Leadership and Good Governance' award in the year 2006.
- As a result of the willingness of the Municipal Council and the keen interest of the Mayor, the City has received the Centralized proper Bus stand from the Central Government of Sri Lanka.
- As a proposal of the Council (Mayor), a new Economical Centre (Center for vegetable marketing and transportation) is built by the Central Government in the city.
- The authority of the City structure planning rights is received by the Municipal Council in the year 2002 from the Urban Development Authority.
- The Council has received a Mobile Library from JICA as result of the community service of the organization.
- The Council has received 2 Fire engines from JICA.